We will be releasing our first full-length album, Rivers & Rust, on June 25, more than five years after Haunter’s inception. In fact, this album took nearly 10 years to live, five to write, and more than a full year to finish. It’s taken up a huge part of each of our lives, regardless of when we individually signed on to being in a band together.
It has felt like a pretty massive undertaking - five different voices, working collaboratively, to put out something that represents our love for melody, early ’90s college music, guitar solos, storytelling, and, most importantly, rock ‘n’ roll. And those things are a lot less fun without you, the people who come out to see us and stay ‘til the end of the night. So thanks, you. You know who you are. You were always there.
So before we even have the CDs in hand, here are some details to tide you over/get you excited:
- We recorded the album with Cam Loeppky, our producer, engineer, mixer (of sounds/drinks), and brother-in-arms, who helped do a few other really fucking great albums in the past two years - Midnight Midnight by Nova, Disintegration Blues by Greg MacPherson, and Firecracker/Cloudglow by Cannon Bros.
- There are a few guests on the album, who we deeply respect and are forever grateful for being a part of it - Keri Latimer from Nathan helped with a duet, Rusty Matyas and Marti Sarbit from Imaginary Cities lent their trumpet and pipes to a song, and our wonderful, incomparable friend Shannon Laliberte also sings on a track.
- We’ll be releasing the first track as a single, which we hope will become the “hit song of summer ‘09,” like we promised four years ago.
- It’s coming out on Disintegration Records, obviously, which is our favourite record label, and also our good friends. There will also be a few more records coming out on Disintegration this year, but we won’t ruin the surprise(s)!
- There is a guitar solo on almost every song (the way it should be). Even some guitarmonies.
- We’re hoping to release a special remixed version of one of the tunes along with the album, available digitally.
- We’re gonna have a party to celebrate the whole thing at the Royal Albert Arms on June 27. There will be two bands but we can only tell you one right now: The Mystics, who play bad-ass, throw-back rock ‘n’ roll for wizards and lady-wizards alike. Save the date.
Here’s the track list:
1. July, 2005
2. Delilah Dreams Of…
3. Our War feat. Shannon Laliberte
4. All Winter Long
5. Trans-Canada, Bring Us Home
6. Blood & Thunder
7. Where I’m Calling From feat. Keri Latimer
9. Assiniboine River Song feat. Marti Sarbit and Rusty Matyas
11. Anthem For a Broken City
More details can wait.
Thanks for sticking around with us all these years, and we’ll see you very soon. If anyone would like to talk to us about our favourite Kevin Smith movie, which Winnipeg neighbourhood is the best to live in, what kind of beer we like, or anything else, e-mail us at haunter.music(at)gmail.com.
Your bad influence and drinking buddy, with Love,
(PS - Photo by Marie-France Hollier)